Ed Horner

Being raised in the Catholic church, I was missing out on the main things of Christianity. We didn’t have the Bible to read or study. We went to confession at least once a week and said the same prayers every time for repentance of which I didn’t know any better. I knew who God and Jesus Christ were but didn’t really know and understand what Jesus did for me. It wasn’t until 1972 when I married a good Christian Baptist girl who helped me in the right direction. With her and her mom continually praying for me and a friend at working witnessing to me did I finally start understanding what it all meant. While stationed in Anchorage, Alaska in 1981, the Holy Spirit finally released my white knuckles and I went forward and accepted Jesus Christ as my Lord and personal Savior. From that point forward, my whole world had changed. Sometimes I didn’t feel like things had changed but the Holy Spirit always brought me back.

In the Catholic Church, I had served as an altar boy for many years and was being primed for the priesthood but praise the Lord that wasn’t in God’s plan for my life. I thank my wife, Judy, and my mother-in-law for praying for me, and David for witnessing to me. Now, my mom was a little upset when I had told her of my experience and I finally asked her if I was worshipping somewhere what difference did it make. When I became a preacher, she felt proud. I praise the Lord for loving me enough for forgiving a sinner like me and searing my eternity in heaven with him and my Savior.

I delivered my first message in 2001 and pulpit supplied until 2003 when I surrendered to the ministry. I was in a dilemma when I questioned God when He was calling to preach at such an old age. I didn’t feel like I had the qualifications to do it, but he said He would take care of that. I continued to pulpit supply until 2008 when I was called to pastor Harmony Baptist Church in House Springs, MO. We started out with about on Sunday morning and four on Sunday and Wednesday night. The Holy Spirit showed us what to do to grow the church and within two years, we had 55-60 on Sunday mornings and 30-35 on Sunday and Wednesday nights. The Lord blessed us tremendously. After two years, I had developed medical problems and the doctor suggested I get rid of some of the stress of my life and resigning was my only option. It broke my heart to do it, but it had to be done. I knew God wasn’t done with me yet.

I knew there was something else He wanted me to do but I didn’t know what it was. In June 2015 the Lord started working me yet again. He told me being an evangelist was what he wanted me to do. Again, I questioned Him; wrong to do because you will always lose. In September, we were studying Jeremiah on Wednesday night and in the first chapter, Jeremiah told God about the same thing I had been saying but Hold gave him the answer real quick: I will give you the skill, knowledge and ability to speak the words and only the word I give you.

Thus, I surrendered to the ministry of evangelist. I joined and was elected to the Fellowship of Evangelist in Missouri.